Personal thread

4 posters

Go down

Personal thread Empty Personal thread

Post by Dragon5 5th June 2014, 1:10 am

I played Pirate Warriors 2 so I have some idea behind the characters. My oldest brother knows One Piece more than me.

Okay, I see there is a slight dvx in the walking frames to change the feel. I personally find it weird that walking up and down moves me forward slightly. It messes up my positioning at times since I'm not used to it. The walking order also seems to be 12343432. Is that a bug or a screwup?

There's a slight bug for Player 2: When I assign the inputs, jump and guard become swapped.

I'm just trying the characters out in VS mode right now.

Shanks: I really like his design. I love the way combos feel for him. Why not make his GFJ be able to press A to do his hilt attack regardless of distance? If it has to do with some AI problem (which I don't want to think with your custom AI), then I understand.

Zoro: This looks like the younger one, but not in the outfit I'm used to. I find him weak, slow, and hard to combo with. He's definitely one of the weaker characters. I'm a little disappointed because he has that Captain Falcon feel but none of the strength.
Complaints:
I'll provide a dat file with my improvements soon.

Last edited by Dragon5 on 5th June 2014, 1:33 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Updates)
Dragon5
Dragon5
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Bellies Bellies : 552

Back to top Go down

Personal thread Empty Re: Personal thread

Post by A-MAN 5th June 2014, 4:41 am

Thank you very very much, and I appreciate your willingness to help. But, we've already restarted everything to use the A-Engine and custom sprites. Have you checked the new progress thread? https://onepiecea-edition.forumotion.com/t437p800-one-piece-a-edition-alpha-progress#26645

And about your comments:
The dvx was necessary to not make it even weirder to "run" sideways. We were sort of limited with sprites back then, but now we're having every basic action done properly, in a manner you've never seen before (14 frames for walking and 10 for running Razz). Even more basic actions were added too.
Regarding Shanks and the AI: I was very lazy with the AI's to be honest. Only Lucci's, Kuma's and some others has been done from scratch. Other characters had their AIs copied and pasted from the ones above. I know there was more room for improvement, but I am much more satisfied with the current remake that I don't want to open a data changer again Razz.

Zoro: The point of the charge is this extra distance. Plus, are you sure you've tried the latest 1.8? As I thought I fixed some stuff you mentioned.

A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

A-MAN : Team A Leader
Bellies Bellies : 18841

https://onepiecea-edition.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon5 6th June 2014, 6:13 pm

I'm used to seeing walking sprites being used to all four directions, but I do understand that some characters probably don't have a real walking animation. I'll still give feedback just to show pointers on design.

I don't recommend to have any (or much) hitlag for this game. Maybe 1 frame, but 2 is LF2's speed and it makes the game sluggish. The slow delay is used mainly to give games strategy. For example: while Mihawk's GUAAA looks amazing if done normally, it doesn't feel as smooth because of the hit delay. Of course the attacks could be adjusted to link better, but I don't feel this game needs the slowness.
Also, with so many enemies in stage mode the game needs to be fast to keep the pace of the game smooth. That's my opinion at least.

Stage mode: Some characters aren't good for crowd control honestly. The low-health enemies isn't as big as a problem as multiple enemies are all out to slaughter you. The main reason it's hard is because many characters have startup time for their moves while the enemies are fast to attack. As said before, stage will be better if the game uses a faster pace than LF2's.
EDIT: Seriously, I was stuck because of arest hitting at least 5 people in one attack to be hit out by another guy. Lets try to avoid that in the A-Engine version.

I'm really liking my idea to make the attack string have some juggle properties. Making this universal would allow people to find combos easy and hopefully try to expand from there. The hitboxes for these moves can easily be tweaked to prevent juggling infinites that way.

Gear Luffy's difficult controls is actually nice for once. I assumed this came from sprite shortcomings for wherever it was ripped from (only to find the base sprites for him). Still, for someone powerful it feels right to master controlling someone overpowered that way instead.

I see the timeskip going on now for the characters. I'm a little concerned with how this might affect the roster. Hopefully nothing will change.
Dragon5
Dragon5
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-studios 6th June 2014, 8:44 pm

Thx for the feedback, but we pretty much started from scratch, most of the stuff has been addressed for the newer version.  The roster right now is just Luffy and Law, we'll add more when I sprited them.  

1 frame injured wouldent look good though, Lf2s hit lag is like a wait: 3 or something with 2 frames.  What we have is a 6 frame injured that goes for 0.1 sec per frame.  Its much faster than lf2s and looks smoother too.  Injured for 1 frame just means players have no delay between idle and injured so they can just walk away from combos pretty much since there isnt a long enough delay for another hit.  

Hitboxes will all be fixed for the new luffy, same with jugling.  

The new luffy has plenty of crowd control moves too, whip and giant pistol should work pretty well.

The walking we just have in 2 directions, having the character face front and back as well would be too much XD
Z-studios
Z-studios
Supernova
Supernova

Z-Studios : Team-A Spriter
Bellies Bellies : 7808

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash9tk 9th June 2014, 6:32 pm

The game would start to become 3d just like how A-Man wants to do the ship stages lol
Flash9tk
Flash9tk
Infamous Pirate
Infamous Pirate

Bellies Bellies : 2261

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon5 10th June 2014, 1:54 am

Z-studios wrote:Thx for the feedback, but we pretty much started from scratch, most of the stuff has been addressed for the newer version.  The roster right now is just Luffy and Law, we'll add more when I sprited them.  

1 frame injured wouldent look good though, Lf2s hit lag is like a wait: 3 or something with 2 frames.  What we have is a 6 frame injured that goes for 0.1 sec per frame.  Its much faster than lf2s and looks smoother too.  Injured for 1 frame just means players have no delay between idle and injured so they can just walk away from combos pretty much since there isnt a long enough delay for another hit.  

Hitboxes will all be fixed for the new luffy, same with jugling.  

The new luffy has plenty of crowd control moves too, whip and giant pistol should work pretty well.

The walking we just have in 2 directions, having the character face front and back as well would be too much XD  

Keep in mind that LF2 runs in 30FPS and my suggestions were made using that as a base. Essentially, my numbers would have to be doubled to comply with your current engine.

Also, I was talking about the delay/lag, not the time it takes to recover from a hit. I apologize if I confused you, but even I would know not having enough time would result in an awkward frame advantage for person being hit. I was talking about the hitlag making the game feel slow since I was caught in a framelock hitting FIVE people back to back as Shanks. I was left open from behind and took a major blow because I couldn't defend myself. How is that good design? Can you at least tell me something like that will be fixed in this engine?

Take a look at this sprite sheet of TMNT. Notice how Leo has walking animations for going up and down. It provides an illusion of 3D that looks better than most 2D beat-em-ups. That back and front.
Image:

I notice you're taking what I say a little too literally. It's okay. Some people have trouble understanding what I say because I have trouble getting what I want to say out as well.
Dragon5
Dragon5
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 10th June 2014, 4:10 am

No problem at all XD.
So as Z said, we've already started from scratch and dumped everything we did in the LF2 version. Regarding the hitlag, I actually was planning for a version removing the hit lag, but I didn't get to finish tweaking the moves.

In this new version we're working on, however, we got rid of the hit lag (although we might use it for clashing and defending stuff).

And having different walkings for every direction is possible btw XD.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

A-MAN : Team A Leader
Bellies Bellies : 18841

https://onepiecea-edition.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-studios 10th June 2014, 8:03 am

Also Aman had this special falling frames planned that should prevent being locked in a combo.

Walking in 3d is pretty interesting aesthetically, but doing walk cycles for all those directions in perspective would be really hard and time consuming. Maybe as a last bit a touch up, but I think we should gameplay mechanics first like backflips and strafing.
Z-studios
Z-studios
Supernova
Supernova

Z-Studios : Team-A Spriter
Bellies Bellies : 7808

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down