[log]Since 8th August 2014: A-Engine v0.1

+3
bashscrazy
Rhino.Freak
A-MAN
7 posters

Go down

[log]Since 8th August 2014: A-Engine v0.1 Empty [log]Since 8th August 2014: A-Engine v0.1

Post by A-MAN 8th August 2014, 2:28 pm

V0.1 is coming along nicely. I know I haven't documented what the current is capable of yet, but I will keep updating here from now on as to not face trouble later on.

2014-08-08:
2014-09-13:

Last edited by A-MAN on 14th September 2014, 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

A-MAN : Team A Leader
Bellies Bellies : 18841

https://onepiecea-edition.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

[log]Since 8th August 2014: A-Engine v0.1 Empty Re: [log]Since 8th August 2014: A-Engine v0.1

Post by Rhino.Freak 8th August 2014, 3:17 pm

Ahh that's nice! Very Happy so there won't be any documentation in future?
Keep it up man!

Last edited by Rhino.Freak on 8th August 2014, 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhino.Freak
Rhino.Freak
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Rhino.Freak - Team A Coder
Bellies Bellies : 17445

http://pokegames.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

[log]Since 8th August 2014: A-Engine v0.1 Empty Re: [log]Since 8th August 2014: A-Engine v0.1

Post by bashscrazy 8th August 2014, 3:18 pm

Uses: Kaio-ken!
bashscrazy
bashscrazy
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Bellies Bellies : 654

http://www.dbzlf2.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 8th August 2014, 3:38 pm

@Freaky: Documenting every tag is necessary. Updating like this though will make it easier for me when I come to document the tags and the features I post here.

@bashs: Yep XD
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon5 9th August 2014, 6:38 am

The only use I see with sequences are to shortcut animations with similar rects and bdys. This would be good for animations like walking and running if the orders can be prrogrammed. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to be too much of use.
Dragon5
Dragon5
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Bellies Bellies : 552

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhino.Freak 9th August 2014, 7:32 am

it helps with almost every move.. like punches kick can only be done in 1 sequence and 1 frame..
Rhino.Freak
Rhino.Freak
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 9th August 2014, 7:52 am

@Dragon: Sequences are very useful in fact, and I find my self using them all the time. Put in mind that you can replace a frame in the middle of a sequence by retyping the frame anywhere in the .a file.
That tag by itself though isn't of much use to be honest. I only use it with a value of -1 to reverse animations; like fade ins can then be animated to be fade outs and such stuff.

A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by RennanRdC 11th August 2014, 6:46 pm

A-man, I have some doubts:

There will be some tool to we take our doubts about the engine? Could be here, for example? You will be willing to answer our questions? : D

The system interactions will be more solid? will be possible to interact with objects that you even spawned? These interactions with the body's lf2 (at a great height) are very complicated and boring
RennanRdC
RennanRdC
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Bellies Bellies : 331

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 11th August 2014, 8:38 pm

Feel free to ask anything you want.
The itrs (we refer to them as "rects" with the engine) and bdys are more flixable than ever. You can do the following:
-Do a bdy that goes to a frame when hit with a rect.
-Do a bdy that sends the opponent into a frame when hit with a rect.
-Do a rect that goes to a frame if it hits a bdy.
-Do a rect that sends the opponent into a frame if it hits his bdy.

Further more, you're no longer dealing with itr types; you can create your own now with what are known as switches. A switch is a small statement surrounded by a pair of "|"s that sets definite characteristics to a frame or a component. Say you want to have your rect (itr) hit a target but without sending them to their injury frames nor showing the hit spark. You would simply type "|GHOSTRECT|" anywhere inside your rect. Say you want your rect to not play the hit sound when it hits a target; use the "|NOSOUND|" switch inside your rect. Now you might want that rect to "stick" to a target (similar to itr kind 8s effect); use the "|STICKYRECT|" switch. You can also have multiple switches in one rect as in the following:
Code:

[f=30] #this is frame 30
set_rect[ |STICKYRECT|GHOSTRECT|NOSOUND|
x=0 y=0 w=30 h=30 damage=30 #...etc
]
[/f]
That rect stick to a target, take a target to no injury frame nor does it show a spark, and plays no sound when hits.
There are also switches that make rects hits a target where ever he is (|REMOTERECT|; very useful for poison effects), act as a solid obstacle (|SOLIDRECT|) or even be a standable platform (|PLATFORMRECT|) and other useful switches you will find handy when coding cool abilities for your characters.
The rect hitting yourself is achievable too with an in-frame switch instead, the "|UNIVERSAL|" switch.

Furthermore, these boring pairings you've being doing with the high-y-valued' itrs and bdys are gone for good. You will know pair stuff with what I call "flags" instead. A flag is basically a special number (or even a sequence of numbers you set) where only a pair of bdys and rects having a common flag will interact. For example:
Code:

[f=40]
set_rect[ x=0 y=0 w=30 h=30 flags=44444, 22222]
[/f]
That rect has got 2 flags, 44444 and 22222. It will only interact with bdys that has either the flags.

And much more.. You would want to wait until I write up its documentation. I just want you to understand that my goal when I wrote the engine is to allow doing EVERYTHING without ever having to resort to hex editing or any stuff like that.
And thanks for asking.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by RennanRdC 11th August 2014, 11:46 pm

Thank you mr A-MAN! I look forward to making One piece (gb style) also this engine without limitations!

The engine will be updated? These updates will compromise the progress already made​​?

Another question, something bothered me the release I tested:

When i press down key, the character goes not straight down, but in a diagonal line, is this normal?I really do not like it
RennanRdC
RennanRdC
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by ULTIMOS 13th August 2014, 7:17 pm

A-man Could I suggest an transparency converter for the a-engine. I have a lot of already made sprites and would like to make many of the already made effects transparent.

ULTIMOS
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Bellies Bellies : 1797

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhino.Freak 13th August 2014, 7:22 pm

ULTIMOS wrote:A-man Could I suggest an transparency converter for the a-engine. I have a lot of already made sprites and would like to make many of the already made effects transparent.

He did add that didn't he?

just use [ic]alpha=x[/ic] inside the frame to make it transparent..

255 = no transparency
anything below it would be slightly transparent.
Rhino.Freak
Rhino.Freak
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 13th August 2014, 7:27 pm

Alpha PNGs are 100% supported. You're free to have all your transparent/blur effects.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by ULTIMOS 13th August 2014, 7:51 pm

oh ok, cool, sry didn't notice

ULTIMOS
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Bellies Bellies : 1797

Back to top Go down

Post by RennanRdC 13th August 2014, 9:52 pm

A-man, u didnt answer my questions D:
RennanRdC
RennanRdC
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 13th August 2014, 10:56 pm

Sorry, my bad.
To answer your questions, I will keep updating the Engine until I am completely satisfied with its capabilities. Updates will include new tags, features and perhaps some boosts with performance ..etc. Once I release, I will share the source code along hoping further developers will continue updating it to suit their needs and the engine's future.

That test release is extremely old and outdated. Regardless, I intentionally made the walking move forward with the A-Engine's dvx equivalent because it was suggested that having running animations going down looked weird.
On a side note: Don't bother trying to understand the .a files of that test release. A lot of stuff has changed since then, and reading the test version's will only lead to further confusion.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by RennanRdC 13th August 2014, 11:07 pm

I'm sad, everything is amazing but this feature bothers me quite Sad

The date remains the same that you had said? 15/08?

(Damn it, I was already trying to learn the language!)
RennanRdC
RennanRdC
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 14th August 2014, 10:50 am

What feature bothers you? Apparently, you didn't understand the bit about walking up/down. I said I did this intentionally (made the character move forward) with the Engine's dvx equivalent tag. I would never hard code such a weird "feature" 0_o.
As for the release, I am working on the sounds and the main menu stuff at the moment, and I don't think I will be done by tomorrow.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by RennanRdC 14th August 2014, 7:31 pm

Okay! Excuse me! I thought it was already own the game!
RennanRdC
RennanRdC
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by vunguyen97 15th August 2014, 10:46 am

@A-Man: So when do you think you will release the OPAE?
This is irrelevant to the topic as you could've asked that in OPAE's progress thread, but I will answer anyways. I can get my work ready by the end of August. The thing is that we're trying to get Sanji in as well, and I am not sure if Z and Freaky will be able to make it on time. So don't take my word on it just yet. ~A-MAN
vunguyen97
vunguyen97
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Bellies Bellies : 912

Back to top Go down

Post by RennanRdC 15th August 2014, 3:40 pm

One suggestion: Could you provide a "raw" version of the engine for developers. How about?
RennanRdC
RennanRdC
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 15th August 2014, 3:47 pm

RennanRdC wrote:One suggestion: Could you provide a "raw" version of the engine for developers. How about?
I don't understand what you mean by a "raw" version. What I am going to release as the A-Engine developer's package would be the exe + a template stage + a template character + a document on how to get started + a reference guide to tags and how they work and maybe a Notepad + a plugin for A-Script syntax highlighting and auto-completion feature (until I get the time to write my own editor). I hope this is what you meant.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by RennanRdC 15th August 2014, 4:43 pm

Yeah, its this
RennanRdC
RennanRdC
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhino.Freak 28th August 2014, 5:01 am

Hue hue.. so.. mind posting all new updates here? Very Happy
Rhino.Freak
Rhino.Freak
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon5 2nd September 2014, 3:38 am

One question: How much of the beta code will carry over to the first release in terms of compatibility? I plan on using it as a base to get a head-start on my miniproject.
Dragon5
Dragon5
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Bellies Bellies : 552

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 2nd September 2014, 3:55 am

@Freaky: I would really love to actually. Will probably do in a day or 2.

@Dragon5: OH well, A LOOT OF things have changed (unfortunately); I've also changed names of some tags to make them more self-explanatory (for example f_x= was changed into x_vel=; cuz that obviously sets a new velocity on x, not accelerate). I wouldn't really suggest you work with that. For the Engine though, I still have got veery few stuff to do: with the backgrounds+a main and a control menu.

Sorry for the delay.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhino.Freak 8th September 2014, 8:25 am

No problem dude, we are eagerly waiting to hear more Very Happy
Rhino.Freak
Rhino.Freak
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 14th September 2014, 12:50 pm

~Update. That really did take me a while 0_o.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhino.Freak 14th September 2014, 1:21 pm

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DAMN! THIS IS TOTALLY NEXTGEN! DAMN! HOW CAN YOU EVEN THINK OF/DO ALL THIS WHEN THIS IS YOUR FIRST ATTEMPT FOR A GAME ENGINE!! LOVE YA MAN! #NOHOMO #FULLCAPSNOREGRETS

ahem.. Now, 1 question Razz
The place where we can define the points regeneration.. Wont having all that in all A-files, in turn use more memory?
Having it in a separate .A file would be better I think.

#BACKTOCAPS
DUDE YOU GOTTA POST THIS IN LF-E TOO!
Rhino.Freak
Rhino.Freak
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 14th September 2014, 6:30 pm

Thank you =3.
The place where we can define the points regeneration.. Wont having all that in all A-files, in turn use more memory?
There are already tags where you can set regeneration in the info part already? The main_loop tactic can be used if you're into creating a more complex regeneration system. The main idea of the main_loop however is timers. Or were you asking about something else? I am not sure I understood your question ?_?.

LFE I will post later.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhino.Freak 15th September 2014, 2:40 pm

Ah yeah, totally forgot about that XD

I like how the sounds are now loaded at the beginning, easier to find which sounds are being used by which files.
Rhino.Freak
Rhino.Freak
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down