A-MAN
Rhino.Freak
Djoul
7 posters

Go down

Hi from France - Djoul Empty Hi from France - Djoul

Post by Djoul 8th February 2014, 4:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I come here with Z-studios invitation, let me introduce my self.
I am a french mugen spriter for 15 years. We develop with friends a quite ambitious project on One Piece in High resolution.
We Will communicate on it really soon (maybe one month). I hope you will enjoy it like us.

Why I come here ? First it's always interesting to see others project. =)
Furthermore, Z told me that other engine than Mugen can be used to create a fighting game. With online features for example.

So ! A-Man, nice to meet you ! I will contact you as soon as possible to have some information Smile

Best,
Djoul

Djoul
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Bellies Bellies : 60

Back to top Go down

Hi from France - Djoul Empty Re: Hi from France - Djoul

Post by Rhino.Freak 8th February 2014, 4:58 pm

HEY THERE! so you are the person who Z was talking about! Smile nice to meet you! We would love to take a look at your One Piece project! Perhaps you could give a link to your site/forum so we can be updated?

And yeah the A-Engine is in progress and is going to be pretty much, ALL ROUNDER BEAST!.. Welcome abroad man and hope you enjoy the game and forum! Very Happy
Rhino.Freak
Rhino.Freak
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Rhino.Freak - Team A Coder
Bellies Bellies : 17445

http://pokegames.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoul 8th February 2014, 5:38 pm

Thx for the welcoming Smile Oh you already know me !
Nice to meet you too !

Regarding our project we have not begun the communication yet, sorry for this but it's for soon ! Wink

Well ! Right now I need to find all the information I can get on this new engine Smile
The forum seems to be really nice and the game looks really good as well.

Djoul
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 8th February 2014, 6:19 pm

Welcome aboard on our little forum! It is really a joy to see other people sharing our ambitions and dreams.

Regarding the A-Engine: It's basically a beat 'em up game engine that I wrote from scratch in C++ using the strongest combination of the multi-platform OpenGL API and the SDL library. I don't know what MUGEN scripting is like, but the A-Engine, hopefully, should not chain you down with any limitations.
The main thing is: Most of the work has been done on the engine's logic, and it isn't ready for a full-fledged game yet. I have been working on the engine together with the One Piece A-Edition, so you can expect the first version of the Engine to be released some time around the OPAE's release.

Welcome again, and enjoy your stay! Looking forward to see some of your works in the spriting field!
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

A-MAN : Team A Leader
Bellies Bellies : 18841

https://onepiecea-edition.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jassi 8th February 2014, 6:43 pm

Hello Djoul Very Happy, welcome to the forum man... hmmm Serious
Jassi
Jassi
Rookie Pirate
Rookie Pirate

Bellies Bellies : 5796

Back to top Go down

Post by pack5642 9th February 2014, 6:47 am

Sup djoul, nice to meet you. Mugen for 15 years...damn man, thats some serious dedication. cant wait to try your mugen  XD 
pack5642
pack5642
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Pack5642 - Team A Helper
Bellies Bellies : 15785

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoul 9th February 2014, 11:42 am

Hi and thank you Smile

A-MAN wrote:It's basically a beat 'em up game engine that I wrote from scratch in C++
Pretty interesting, so you developped it from scratch, congratulations !
So it's not focused on a fighting game mechanics right ?
I mean for example:
-Management of frames data.
-Management of hit box
- Recovery
- Counter, fighting games mechanics and so on ? I really don't know beat them up mechanics to be honest !

I don't know what MUGEN scripting is like, but the A-Engine, hopefully, should not chain you down with any limitations.
Yeah Z told me that, it's really interesting to see that you can add online features for example. I am very interested about this point.

The main thing is: Most of the work has been done on the engine's logic, and it isn't ready for a full-fledged game yet. I have been working on the engine together with the One Piece A-Edition, so you can expect the first version of the Engine to be released some time around the OPAE's release.
Good ! Thank you I will keep a good eye on this new engine

Welcome again, and enjoy your stay! Looking forward to see some of your works in the spriting field!
It will be my pleasure thank you Wink

Mugen for 15 years...damn man, thats some serious dedication. cant wait to try your mugen
Thank you, we will start a good communication soon ! Your feedbacks will be very appreciate.
Creation is everything for us Wink

Regarding the style of the game, it will be like this:
Hi from France - Djoul 04e0660fb999df332b1273d753797462-d6deqef

A little prototype for Crocodile, of coursewe need to adapt him, we always draw our chars like this before we start to sprite.
Hi from France - Djoul Crocodile___One_Piece_by_DrJackal38

Cheers

Djoul
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurogami 9th February 2014, 1:23 pm

Wow nice design! anyway welcome to the forum Very Happy
Kurogami
Kurogami
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Bellies Bellies : 550

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 9th February 2014, 2:28 pm

Djoul wrote:Hi and thank you Smile

A-MAN wrote:It's basically a beat 'em up game engine that I wrote from scratch in C++
Pretty interesting, so you developped it from scratch, congratulations !
So it's not focused on a fighting game mechanics right ?
I mean for example:
-Management of frames data.
-Management of hit box
- Recovery
- Counter, fighting games mechanics and so on ? I really don't know beat them up mechanics to be honest !
Lol, actually all what you've said are 100% supported. Here is an example code:
Code:

[f=<frame number>] #This is a comment.
|STANDING|  #these are called "Switches".
img=0 delay=5 f_x=0 f_y=0 f_z=0  center=43,99 h<d>=60 c<s>=470 goto=5
c<a>=315
set_bdy[x= 27  y= 21  w= 34  h= 77] #This is the body of the object when it is at this frame.
set_rect[x=74 y=39  w= 92  h= 62 hit_frequency=17 damage=80 knock=100 strength=120 x_impact=3 y_impact=-20] #The rect tag. I beleive this is what you called the "hitbox" in the A-Engine's scripting language.
set_combination[sequence=(h<f>,h<u_a>,h<d_a>,c<a>), time_interval=400, goto=20]#this is the combination tag
call_object[id=201 x=46 y=52 frame=45] #combination
[/f]
Basically, every sprite is coded into a frame; a piece of code written in between [f=frame id here] and [/f]. The delay= statement is used to set how much 1/60ths of a second should that sprite stay for. The goto= statement sets the destination or the next frame you will go to when the delay period is over.  The center= statement accepts 2 parameters, the X center and the Y center; these are the X, Y position of the sprite from the ground. Usually set at the leg or the base of the sprite. The img= statement points to the id of a sprite, which are all loaded in the header of an A-File before any of the frames, which should be shown when at this frame. f_x/y/z= sets the momentum of the character when at this frame. The c<a>= statement is basically a statement of the collection of input related statements you can use. c<a>= is the destination frame when the player clicks the Attack button. h<a>= the destination frame when Attack is held down at this frame. Since the A-Engine allows up to 4 buttons: Attack (a), Defend (d), Jump (j) and Special (s), here is the collection of the input related statements: c<a> (click attack), c<d> (click defend), c<j> (click jump), c<s> (click special), c<f> (click forward), c<b> (click backward), c<u_a> (click Up Arrow; or up in general), c<d_a> (click Down Arrow), c<r_a> (click Right Arrow), c<l_a> (click left arrow), h<a> (hold attack), h<d> (hold defend), h<j> (hold jump), h<s> (hold special), h<f> (hold forward), h<b> (hold backward), h<u_a> (hold Up Arrow), h<d_a> (hold Down Arrow), h<r_a> (hold Right Arrow), h<l_a> (hold left arrow).

For when you want to assign a combination or a sequence of keys for an attack or an action, you're going to use the "combination" tags for that.
The "bdy" tag sets the area where the character is hit when a hit rect collides with it.
The "rect" tag sets the area that is supposed to be the hit in that frame. I suppose that is what you meant by a "hitbox".
The "call_object" tag calls or spawns other objects to the screen. You would use that when your character fires a fireball or such. Put in mind that you can use up to 20 of each of the tags above in a frame.  

I know I didn't explain the stuff in detail (will do when I write the documentation for the Engine), but that's because there is still a load of concepts for me to explain. I just hope that answered your questions.

As for a beat 'em up game: It's that genre where you usually play with super hero against swarms of grunts. Here is a screenie that demonstrates that:
Hi from France - Djoul ORRopw2

As you can see, the player is given some space to move side ways as well. Sprites are usually smaller than the MUGEN/King Of Fighter sort of games. I say you should give our latest progress thread a skim: https://onepiecea-edition.forumotion.com/t437p250-one-piece-a-edition-alpha-progress

Yeah Z told me that, it's really interesting to see that you can add online features for example. I am very interested about this point.
Yeah! Although I didn't start working in that aspect yet, I can say that the A-Engine is going to support that pretty well. You can expect an online VS mode, a tourney mode, a war mode...etc.

Good ! Thank you I will keep a good eye on this new engine
I will be honored XD.

It will be my pleasure thank you Wink

Regarding the style of the game, it will be like this:
Hi from France - Djoul 04e0660fb999df332b1273d753797462-d6deqef

A little prototype for Crocodile, of coursewe need to adapt him, we always draw our chars like this before we start to sprite.
Hi from France - Djoul Crocodile___One_Piece_by_DrJackal38

Cheers
Hmph... I don't know what to say.. THOSE ARE AWESOME! That level of detail!; YOU ACTUALLY YOU DIDN"T MISS ANY!
Also, the A-Engine should support these kind of games too in the future, but I don't think it would be as much as the level MUGEN does it. I mean in the end the A-Engine is originally a beat em up game engine, while what you have shown above does seem to be the thing MUGEN was originally made for.
Keep this up! Would like to see more of your works!
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

A-MAN : Team A Leader
Bellies Bellies : 18841

https://onepiecea-edition.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sondos 9th February 2014, 5:30 pm

Djoul, huh?
welcome here!