One Piece - Strawhats' Adventure

4 posters

Go down

Project One Piece - Strawhats' Adventure

Post by sgn15 5th March 2015, 12:10 pm

Hi, I once had trouble registering with this site. The site owner might or might not remember me in some way. I think I forgot about this site but fortunately, I found this in my browser history.

Spoiler:

My inspiration was Shonen Jump's One Piece GBA game.

Please watch this before downloading as it is needed to prevent blaming/accusations.

Download Version 1.0

This version is mostly simple fighting but I have some ideas for future (if ever I continue) that doesn't involve fighting (for both story mode and mini games) and you can say this is just like another more complex version of OP GBA game (that much is true to an extent), but hopefully I will have resources for my ideas.

Update for version 2.0 (4/18/2015)

I'm not sure if advertising is allowed but you can read the description in youtube link directly. You can ask your questions here and I will answer. Thank you all.

Last edited by sgn15 on 18th April 2015, 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total
sgn15
sgn15
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Bellies Bellies : 141

Back to top Go down

Project Re: One Piece - Strawhats' Adventure

Post by ciclun 5th March 2015, 2:13 pm

seem prety awsome (:
ciclun
ciclun
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Bellies Bellies : 571

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 24th March 2015, 5:59 pm

I recognize you. I don't know how I missed this thread, but this sounds really cool! Will provide feedback once I am done playing this.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

A-MAN : Team A Leader
Bellies Bellies : 18841

https://onepiecea-edition.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 26th March 2015, 8:36 pm

Alright! Let's get to the feedback!
The animations for the attacks are smooth, but they completely stop at the first frame if you tried doing the move while walking. Platforming is pretty cool and accurate, but I noticed few basic problems:
1-Jittering: This probably happens because the position of the object is updated after the collision detection phase of the main loop. Try to have it the other way around and perhaps the jittering might stop.
2-Bullet through paper problem:  I have noticed that sometimes when I am falling at high speeds, I'd pass through the edge before any collision detection can happen. Not of absolute importance in your game, and probably not worthwhile, but a simple fix would be to simply limit the y velocity of Luffy further.

A major problem I've faced, which is probably the reason for why I didn't open the game again, was my laptop insanely overheating. I don't know what is wrong, but I know that a simple side scroller shouldn't take this much power. This game seriously needs some serious optimization (are you sure you're doing cleaning-up work properly?) I can help you diagnose these problems.  (what language and api did you use for this btw?)

Enough with the tech stuff, now with the gameplay!
As I have mentioned, the animation is smooth enough, and the moves are varied,, graphics-wise only that is. When you're working on moves, don't think about how you can get all of them in; think about how you can make each different from another such that each would  have advantages and disadvantages over the others (not just with damage, but with timing, area of effect and direction of knocks too). Try to make moves combo into one another more. The up-forward stamp for instance could stretch out more to reach out for enemies in the air too.

One move which I abused throughout my trial was "Hanabi/Fireworks". A huge area of effect, extended air time and more damage! Why wouldn't I?! We've had trouble trying to balance this move too in OPAE. I believe the best approach for your case would be to consider it a "super" of some sort and have it consume some of that slowly charging bar.

I wasn't really satisfied with how attacks hit. No sound effects, no stagger, and the grunts felt rather persistent against my attacks for what they should be. They didn't do much damage either which made me plainly render them annoying. Provided that I didn't need to defeat a single grunt to pass a stage, and that there wasn't anything rewarding about beating them either, I would just buzz through as fast as I can spamming Hanabi on the "genernaders" waiting for me at the edge of a platform I am trying to reach for. The level design itself was good, but how the enemies play sort of ruined it for me. I suggest you try to make defeating a number of grunts obligatory for advancing as required objectives, together with buffing them up a little for damage and giving them a little less HP.

The thing I mostly looked forward to while I was playing this game were the boss battles. They were actually quite good! (except for Django's... like, seriously? what were you thinking?) Sadly, there weren't any dialogues or anything of that sort =(. Through out the game, I kinda wished Luffy made some shouts with certain moves too as you've done with almost all the bosses; Luffy's should've been of a higher priority in my opinion.

Getting back to the point of how the attacks feel, I would highly recommend you give Luffy a decent revamp.  Before you manage to do any new levels, try placing Luffy in a plain-white background together with an infinite-hp grunt/sandbag and start testing his moves on. Keep asking yourself, is it really fun to beat the grunt like that or is it getting repetitive and dull? If it's the latter, then try reworking some moves and have them combo more into each other until you have more options for attack schemes to attack from. Once it feels good, try adding better hit sparks, screen-shakes, graphical effects, staggering..etc to make it feel even better! Only once you've done that will you start the balancing stage for the moves.

Overall: The game is pretty good, and has lots of potential! I would love to see you finish this, so please don't stop! I hope this post was constructive enough.

Last edited by A-MAN on 27th March 2015, 6:21 am; edited 2 times in total
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by sgn15 27th March 2015, 4:22 am

Hi,

First of all, when I saw the long post, I knew it was the feedback I had been waiting for. It was indeed constructive. I knew that coming from you, a programmer, it will be a more comprehensive feedback than from a gamer alone. Thank you for your time and effort in giving a constructive feedback. Very much appreciated.

As for my updates on this, I have an online backup of my file for this game but I am trying to find my offline file in my pc because I have updated it from the version of the online backup so I still haven’t progressed since then. About my situation I mentioned in first post, I’m back home and I’ll probably stay here until May and that’s when I might start working abroad. Might change plans but for now that’s the plan.

I just want to be as specific as possible because I might not get the idea you’re conveying. I’ll explain what I understood from your post and from my memory of the game since I don’t have the file at present. I think what you call “jittering” is what happens when player tries to move against a “wall/stair/floor”. I had problems before that the player can’t use any attacks/guard/charge when directly colliding against a “wall”, so I coded it like this: When player collides against a wall, set player’s x position to a few pixels to the left or right of the “wall” it just collided with. That was sort of a “quick fix” for that problem because I was coding the attacks that time and it prevented me from testing them overall. I completely forgot about making a more legitimate fix for this. Thanks for pointing it out. About falling at high speeds, are you referring to colliding/falling on floor or the moving platforms? I’ll test this out if I find my file.

As for the attacks, do you mean I add more attacks and link them together? Or just link the existing ones now? Can you give an actual example? Like gatling then jump and use whip then downward stomp?

Just a clarification though, I did not change the gravity/velocity of the hanabi attack. Its velocity and gravity are the same as other air attacks. But I do get your point about the massive area it attacks.

Thanks for the tip. I will add defeating a number of goon as another requirement aside from the flag.

Ok, I’ll add sound effects. What do you mean by “no stagger, and the grunts felt rather persistent against my attacks for what they should be.” And I guess I have to make basic attacks deal stronger damage? I made the HP of each goon equal to the damage of 1 complete Luffy combo (2 punches + gatling). I’ll lower the HP of the goons.

What do you mean by “I kinda wished Luffy made some shouts with certain moves too as you've done with almost all the bosses”? You mean char voices? I did not add any voices for anyone as this was a “trial” game and adding many more resources can make the size balloon. I agree that players should be prioritized.  I’m also trying to code a pause when luffy uses a super but I haven’t succeeded in doing that. Pausing the game while luffy animates is my idea.

Btw, you didn’t like the different status effect attacks of Jango? That was literally just copied (and expanded) idea from the GBA. I have an idea of changing that Jango fight altogether. But as far as making new and physical attacks (punches, etc.) sprites, that’s out of my league. I am sadly not a spriter : (

Did you play up to Krieg? Personally my favorite was Krieg and Kuro because there were spriters who expanded their OPGB support sheets to include all their attacks.

Two more questions, did the palettes of the goons appear? Or were there just 1 color for each kind of pirate? and what's your take about Menu/Music?

I feel that I left MUGEN because I got bored of the fighting aspect alone and so I wanted to add a story aspect to fighting. I feel I neglected some things (which you pointed out). Overall, most people say (probably a small part of me too) this is just another version of the One Piece GBA game. I’m thinking of adding my own touch via some story mode “mini games” (of course based on the story) which I meant that you don’t need to fight a boss or get to the flag. Something else, although right now, those are only in my head since I am not coding yet again until I find that updated file.

Thanks again. Hope to have an exchange of ideas here with you.
sgn15
sgn15
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 27th March 2015, 7:42 am

You're right about the sound; bosses don't have sounds either (sorry about that). I wrote that post 2 days after I've tested the game, so memories of this and different stuff I've tested mixed a little. So I have just played the game again, reached what I believe was the final battle in this game against smoker (couldn't win, yet).

Regarding the jittering problem; yes, that's what I have meant. I can't see how collision against the wall would effect the flow of frames (unless you wanted to), but I think it might be because the collision function returns once 1 collision happens (so if collision happens with the wall, the function would return without checking collision against the ground causing you to fall down to be caught again in the next frame and brought to the hit-ground-crouch frames, thus canceling the attack). Regardless if that was what caused the problem or not, I believe it's something that is ought to be fixed.

The bullet through paper problem is best explained in this image:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It rarely happens when your velocity (minus the velocity of the platform) exceeds the width of the platform. It only occurred to me once though (I was trying to land on a platform that was moving up), and that's why I thought it wouldn't be worthwhile to work a genuine fix.

As for the moves linking together: Note that I didn't mean to literally link the moves; just have some moves fit as a continuation to some attacks (not necessarily AAA, completely different attacks that the player combos at will). That combo you mentioned is not what I am talking about here; looks at how the One Piece - Strawhats' Adventure RGfoNRk stamp attack combos with pistol for instance. One cool feature that would help with these combos (and help against edge combo-ing) would be to have knocked characters rebound when they hit a wall. You may consider studying the new OPAE's Luffy if you're interested in how I think about combos.

You're right about Hanabi not affecting y-movement at all, and I've strike'd that statement in the first post. But I still didn't change my thoughts about the move being overpowered. You're right about bosses not having any sounds as well. I've edited my first post striking that statement.

Django's fight was the worst in my opinion. To, he just keeps spamming these laser stuff which paralyzed me simultaneously until almost forever (until when I got a poison or a pixel-ish status which finally allowed me to move and take action). Consider doing different kinds of status problems which actually affects attack/defense..etc. In the anime for instance, Django had this attack where he paralyzed Luffy and made him become stronger but much more energetic and reckless. You could increase Luffy's attack status, but in turn have the player stick in running frames unable to stay still.

Yeah, the fight with Don was pretty fun XD. I'd like to provide one more suggestions that would really help with the combat: Add a recovery-invincible time for when the player gets up from lying.

To answer your question: Yes, the outfits of the grunts were different in color. The menu is fits and works perfectly. The music was good, although there happened times where I'd be fighting a boss and the music would change to something that doesn't go together with the setting at all.

Your idea is great, but fighting is still a very important element in One Piece. The game's feel isn't all that great just yet. Here (clicky) is a great video you should watch about this topic.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by sgn15 27th March 2015, 8:23 am

Thanks again for responding.

I understood your bullet through paper concept now.

Despite being an OP fan for many years, I'm actually not familiar with luffy's attack names. But I just looked up pistol and stamp. Still not sure I'm getting your idea here though.

By "rebound" you mean the goon you just hit bounces off the wall but still in damage poses, right?

I was planning to add an air recover (via button press) for bosses and players too.

The players, goons and bosses are all coded to be unhittable when in "lie down" and "get up from lie down" poses. I encountered being ganged up at the edge of the wall by goons before so I thought this solution would help the issue. Or did you experience being hit while in lie down/get up poses? If you did experience it, it must be a bug. I'll check. Thanks for mentioning.

My idea for Jango level irght now is not about beating/defeating him up. I am checking the OP wiki to review the east blue saga story and your comment about Jango only confirms what I was previously 50-50 about (Jango's attacks). I am now 100% sure I would change the Jango level.

If you have noticed, some bosses (Kuro, Gin, Krieg, Buggy, etc.) use some stronger attacks only when their lives are lower than half (actually, additionally, for Krieg, there are attacks only used when his life is one third, and also attacks when 1/4 life), you think that's a good idea? or not?

For music, do you think if I loop the first music that plays, it would be better than just playing another random music after the previous one ends? Right now, it selects a music at random and plays it and selects another at random after first one ends and so on until you finish the level.

I'll check the video. I'll look at OPAE luffy too. Thanks again. It's great discussing things with you. Smile
sgn15
sgn15
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 27th March 2015, 12:40 pm

Stamp is the attack that is performed with the "S" button and pistol is "A". And yes, that was precisely what I meant with rebounding. Air recovery would be troublesome, if it's not nerfed properly. It's true that characters can't be hit while on the ground currently, but it's also true that you can't really do anything while you're lying down. And once you're standing up again, the enemy would knock you down again before you could do anything about it. The invincibility time however would give you an advantage when you're up, so it would force the opponent to withdraw giving you some space until you're back being vulnerable again. This makes battles much more fun in my opinion. Another option you can consider if you'd like to not have any invincibility time, is giving your character ground recovery frames where he can roll left or right from lying before getting up by pressing the respective button.

And yes! Of course I do like the idea of "finisher attacks" for bosses when they're low on HP. Not all the bosses had the chance to do any moves though because I was spamming Hanabi over their heads =P.

I am not sure about music; it might become dull, but that's a matter of taste. Is it possible to limit the amount of music the randomizer can pick from with each stage? If yes, then go for it!
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by sgn15 27th March 2015, 1:54 pm

The a attack is the chargeable attack, but the pose of the a attack is similar to z attack, only that a attack has longer reach and variable (charge dependent) damage dealt. So that pistol pose can be linked to the stamp pose in succession via key press?

Also, I downloaded and played OPAE 1.8 now, I might be a noob in that engine, but is C the only attack button? I was only able to use the 3 hit combo and the forward forward C attack? Can you tell me how to use the attacks so I know what combo linking idea you were trying to teach me in your previous posts?

So your "recovery time" is just literally a timer for each char that makes it unhittable for a "period of time" counting from after "get up" pose finishes?

I also once thought of implementing that "roll over the grounds" pose but now that you brought it up, I have to force produce those poses (sprites) XD

How about I implement all 3 ideas (air recover, roll over, and recovery time) to add to the existing unhittable during lie down/get up already implemented in the game?
sgn15
sgn15
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 27th March 2015, 2:16 pm

I might have confused the buttons (again), but stamp is the kick. I wasn't talking about a key press linking the 2 moves directly; in fact, stamp already combos with pistol in your game so you wouldn't need to change those (maybe make stamp a bit longer).

I was referring to the newer Alpha1.0 (the one linked to in the header of the forum) since that uses an input system similar to yours. LF2's key combinations usually follow Defend + direction(up, down, left or right) + Attack/Jump. I am not pointing to a specific combo-system. All I am saying is that you could put the other moves in mind when you code a particular move in a way that they could be used simultaneously before the target reaches the ground.

Yes, combining the 3 would do.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by sgn15 27th March 2015, 3:14 pm

About the buttons, we didn't misunderstood this time. Yes, the stamp is the s attack. I should not have mentioned the similar poses of a and z attacks. Sorry for further confusing the topic.

Ok, I tried the alpha version. At first, it was actually crashing, until I learned from a quick search that Law is the source of crash. I did gatling, pistol, ono, whip, hanabi, the air attack where luffy's feet becomes an oval, balloon stomach that can bounce enemy and can launch luffy into final attack used against croc in story.

".....they could be used simultaneously before the target reaches the ground". Simultaneously? Sorry this part still I don't get?
sgn15
sgn15
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhino.Freak 27th March 2015, 3:51 pm

sgn15 wrote:".....they could be used simultaneously before the target reaches the ground". Simultaneously? Sorry this part still I don't get?

Let me try to explain this to you.
Talking about a hypothetical random fighting game in general, where players have punches and kicks.
So say the first player makes a kick that knocks opponent from his feet and launches him in the air a little, now the target has been hit 1 time in total before reaching the ground.
Now before the opponent reaches the ground, you immediately launch a punch (say, an uppercut) that again pushes him up in the air further. Now the target has been hit 2 times in total before reaching the ground.
This is known as a combo usually.

So you see it? What A-MAN is trying to suggest you is you make the moves combo-able, so that you can hit opponents with different moves one after another BEFORE he gets the chance to move. Ofcourse it should be tough to execute and should require timing and stuff, but I hope that you get the point now.

Good luck!
Rhino.Freak
Rhino.Freak
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Rhino.Freak - Team A Coder
Bellies Bellies : 17445

http://pokegames.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sgn15 27th March 2015, 4:04 pm

Aaaaahhhhhh!!! I think I get it!

You mean "juggle"? RIGHT? or no?

Because I came from MUGEN community, the concept of a number of times for hitting enemy upwards continuously until you reach that said limit is juggle.

Right now, as of the released version, I already implemented a simple juggle of 3, meaning you can use 3 consecutive stamp (s button attack) and the 4th one will not hit the enemy anymore. Juggle resets to 0 when char goes to lie down or goes back to idle (from stand damage pose).

In MUGEN, it is a bit more complex than just adding 1 per hit, different attacks have different juggle adder values and juggle limit, so a char can have attack A that adds 20 per hit, attack B that adds 50 per hit, attack C that adds 70 per hit and so on and the juggle limit of 150. So until the limit is matched/exceeded, you can keep hitting enemy upwards (air). It also resets the limit when you go back to idle or lie down.

Guys, I'm really sorry I misunderstood how you guys were explaining the same concept from MUGEN. But thanks for being patient in explaining!

Edit:
Hmm, considering the moveset I currently have, I only have stamp as the attack that hits enemy upwards. Will need to edit some sprites to make new attacks.
sgn15
sgn15
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhino.Freak 27th March 2015, 4:23 pm

You're welcome.

Also here is a combo from a Naruto based game (NTSD), you can take some ideas and see how well the gameplay can get if the moves are comboable.

Wait for the image to load, its bulky.
Spoiler:

credits to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for the combo XD
Rhino.Freak
Rhino.Freak
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Rhino.Freak - Team A Coder
Bellies Bellies : 17445

http://pokegames.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sgn15 2nd April 2015, 2:08 pm

Just some questions:

1. What do you specifically mean by "staggering" ? is that just about the pose (sprite) of the enemy being hit? or a state?

2. It seems for Ussop (east blue outfit), because of lack of sprites, it will either a) he will have less than 6 supers and the other playable still have 6 supers or b) 6 supers but his supers are all sniping different objects (which would seem redundant even if he is really a sniper). There will be another Ussop char (which I will use the OPGB1 sheet) so this is just east blue ussop.

I guess I go with 2nd option?
sgn15
sgn15
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by A-MAN 2nd April 2015, 2:32 pm

1-Staggering as in wobbling, vibrating or shaking. Not really a state, you'd just move the character to the left and right a few pixels very quickly.

2-Sounds good! I'd go with plan (b) personally. Shots can not only be straight forward ones; you can even have him shoot, say, a gas dial which releases inflammable gas when its on the ground.
A-MAN
A-MAN
Revolutionary Army
Revolutionary Army

Back to top Go down

Post by sgn15 2nd April 2015, 2:45 pm

Ok! thanks for the responses.

I have a surprise in the next version! Clue: It doesn't involve any character (person) XD
sgn15
sgn15
Pirate Subordinate
Pirate Subordinate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down